1. What do you listen to when you work?
I can't work in silence. There is always background noise of BBC Radio 2, CapeTalk, podcasts or loud music. Right now I can recommend The Louis Theroux Podcast and analytical conversations with Nick Cave and Nile Rodgers, among others.
2. If you weren't an artist, what would you want to be?
A go-go dancer in New York's Studio 54.
3. What are you reading?
Orwell’s Roses by Rebecca Solnit. She weaves plants, politics and symbolism into her poetic writing style.
4. Favourite author(s)?
I have quite a thing for Irish writers: Bram Stoker, William Trevor, Colm Tóibín. One book I can read repeatedly is The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.
5. Your favourite SA painter(s)? And sculptor?
Simon Stone and Marlene Dumas.
Of course it's highly subjective, but Brett Murray is brilliant. Atang Tshikare as well.
6. You favourite art galleries?
I look at everything: good design museums, galleries, vinyl shops. In South Africa I like to follow Norval Foundation, Whatiftheworld, blank projects, BKhz in Johannesburg and Southern Guild.
7. If you could work in another city, where would it be?
I have lived in a few cities, but Cape Town has a unique energy. And try to find a parking space on a Friday morning in Muizenberg when there is surf! Freelancers are spoiled.
8. You will travel long distances to see who?
Live bands. I flew all the way to Italy to see Gorillaz.
9. Who inspires you?
A strong woman with a big heart: Maya Angelou, Sinéad O'Connor, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Roegshanda Pascoe and Marianne Thamm.
10. If you were a DJ, what would you play?
FUNK and PUNK.
A little James Brown, a little Buzzcocks, a lot of Fela Kuti, Blondie and (always) The Clash.
11. Is there a movie you want to watch again every year?
Fantastic Mr. Fox.
12. Your favourite party dish?
Nigel Slater's roast chicken. Always a winner.
13. In two sentences. Georgia O'Keefe? What is your opinion of her?
Elegant long black dress fluttering in the open spaces of the New Mexico desert. She is the Johnny Cash of American modernism.
14. How do you feel about vegans?
They've got a point.
15. Do you have pets? What are their names?
A dog, Ziggy Stardust Murray.
♦ VWB ♦
NEEM DEEL AAN DIE GESPREK: Gaan na heel onder op hierdie bladsy om op hierdie artikel kommentaar te lewer. Ons hoor graag van jou.